Flight of the Raven

Be you wizard, or witch, or a muggle too, have I got a mischievous treat for you: Wizarding Faire 2015 is here! Celebrating all things whimsical, wild and wonderful about the world of Harry Potter, the Wizarding Faire will dazzle you through July 25th with magic, mystery and merriment. And one thing’s for sure: you can “expecto” that this annual faire will be full to the brim with event-exclusives that are not to be missed!

Mischief Managed!

Reading the Harry Potter books, I always resonated the most with the ideals of the Ravenclaw House, which valued wit, wisdom and intellect in its students. I suppose that’s a kind way of saying that it was decidedly the nerdy house, and that suits me just fine. As a “nerd”, I was endlessly curious about the world and fascinated with learning. As a “geek”, I became deeply passionate about things like music, gaming and metaphysics. One common thread that connects most nerds and geeks, their interests aside, is a level of intensity and focus. And that can be both tremendously beneficial, as well as cause for strife.

My lovely fellow SL blogger Leesee at Time and Lace wrote a thought-provoking post the other day sharing her frustrations as a Second Life fashion blogger, and both the original post and its ripples have sparked some really interesting and engaging conversation. As someone who’s been reading SL related blogs for years longer than I’ve been writing one, I’ve seen both the subtle and dramatic shifts that its taken, and I feel that we’re presently in a time where the relationship between designers and bloggers is wonderfully symbiotic and mutually-respectful. Usually. There are always outliers and those (from either side) who would make untoward demands or have unrealistic expectations. But by and large, there’s an appreciation there that grew organically over time and is wonderful to see.

Being an “official” or “dedicated” blogger for any brand or event will bring with it both benefits and requirements. That’s where my Ravenclaw tendencies begin to kick in and I feel surges of high motivation and passion, but with their shady counterparts of stress and overwhelment tagging along for the ride. On Monday, I slept for a significant portion of the day simply because I was exhausted from existing on 4 hours of sleep a night. It’s no one’s fault but my own: I take far too much time to compose photos, write posts, and all that goes with it. But therein lies the rub: I do it because I genuinely, passionately enjoy it. So how do you strike the right balance?

Flight of the Raven

Sometimes I wish I could fly away from real life for a while and immerse myself fully in the virtual world. Dr. Phil featured a Second Life related segment on his show this week, in an episode about a young man who’s addicted to gaming and is experiencing the effect of real life deteriorating because of it. I didn’t see the episode, but I appreciate that it was emphasized that the games are not the issue, but rather the abuse of them. In like kind, there are those who would cheekily say that they’re “addicted” to Second Life, but in most cases it’s meant in a light-hearted way to express how much the virtual world means to them. I’ve been back in SL for less than three months and am absolutely rapt with the inspiration and motivation I’ve found there. I’ve made new friends, experienced new things, found new hobbies, and reinvigorated my creativity. It has been as a spark to a dormant flame; a wand-lighting charm when I needed it most.

Second Life, events like the Wizarding Faire, and the amazing creators whose designs I have the honor of blogging, have enriched my 1st life just as they’ve reignited my 2nd one. This blog has become so much more, been so much more meaningful to me, than I ever expected. Thank you all for taking this ride with me, and thank you to those who share your own journeys and passions in your own Second Life blogs. I could, and often do, spend hours reading your words, enjoying your photography, and marveling over your creativity.

So although it’s been a stressful week, and real life happenstances have gotten in the way of virtual world adventures, and I dearly wish that I had a Time Turner which would grant me many more hours in the day … I know that it all will pass. For in the wise words of one Albus Dumbledore: “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Body
Body / Maitreya | Mesh Body – Lara v3.4
* Skin / AlterEgo | Janae Honey – Smokin’ | Gacha Item at Oh My Gacha, through July 31st
* Hair / Blues | Luna (without wand) – Naturals 1 HUD | Wizarding Faire
* Eyes / UMEBOSHI | Glimmer Eyes – Mermaids (Chasm) | The Seasons Story, through July 31st
Lashes / Mon Cheri | Falsies Mesh Eylashes – Upper
Eyeliner / Glam Affair | Couture Eyeliner No. 02
* Lips / Nova Bodyshop | Viola Lipstick – 004 | FashionTropic Event, through July 30th
* Tattoo / White Widow | Insidious Tattoo | Wizarding Faire
* Nails / Dark Passions | House Pride (Maitreya & Slink appliers) | Wizarding Faire

* Glasses / PURR | Hipster Harry’s – Onyx (Rare) | Gacha Item at Wizarding Faire
* Piercing (Nose) / PUNCH | Clip-On Septum – Mira | Gacha Item at Oh My Gacha, through July 31st
* Piercing (Lip) / PUNCH | Dolphin Bites Piercing
* Necklace 1 / Nerdology | Owl Messenger Necklace – Gold | Wizarding Faire
* Necklace 2 / ForeverFamous | Time Turner (Book) – Gold | Wizarding Faire
* Ring / Nerdology | Seeker’s Dream Ring – House Pride | Wizarding Faire
* Dress / The Little Bat | House Dress – Eagle | Wizarding Faire
Shoes / KC Couture | Mina Heels for Maitreya Lara

Set, Props & Poses
* Set / Larkham & Co | Little Wizard Cottage | Wizarding Faire
* Pic 1 / KRAVE & Strike It | Fantasy Wand – Nokturn Brown + Pose | Gacha Item at Wizarding Faire
* Pic 2 / The Pose Shop | Nimblus2000 + Wand – Pose 6 | Wizarding Faire

The Wizarding Faire is open July 12th – 25th. Please visit the Mischief Managed website for more information about the sim and roleplay.

13 thoughts on “Flight of the Raven

leesee79 said:
    July 15, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I shall comment more in the morning but I just wanted to say awesome post ♡ it’s really great reading so many people’s opinions on things! I love the conversations and inspiration I’ve been getting from you and other bloggers it’s really enriched my sl lately which before now was spent in my skybox not really talking to anyone and just unpacking boxes and taking pictures lol

July 15, 2015 at 1:59 pm

What a lovely comment, thank you so much Leesee! So much love and appreciation to you for inspiring such thought-provoking conversations. Opening the dialogue between bloggers and designers/bloggers is a fantastic thing, and hopefully only good things come from it. Hope you’re having a wonderful week! ♥

LADYBLANCE said:
    July 16, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Great post :) It reminds me days I watch Harry Potter for hours :D My fav movie forever. I visited Wizarding Fair and OMG it was real Hogwarts O_O I want to study there! My poor LL went so fast I hadn’t time to tell a spell lol. Hope my two magic wands will be useful in future :D :D :D
    Thanks for sharing, Ever :)

July 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Thank you so much, Blance! ♥ Isn’t it the coolest event? I love all the creative ideas our SL event coordinators and designers come up with. I’ve been rewatching the SL films again, and I still think Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite. The tonal shift that happened when Alfonso Cuarón took over as director is amazing; it felt much darker and more mature than the first two, and I just love the little hints of the Ron/Hermione attraction. Such a good film! :D

LADYBLANCE said:
        July 19, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Yes it’s great event indeed. Honestly I love all parts of HP. Btw I did like Origami event too, it was really great with it’s history and so much prizes (smiles). Kind of horror/anime game in game. Not sure if it still going on, but you should try it ;)

July 16, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Lovely post Ever, ( I love H. Potter) and all things magical. You write so well. Yes Dr. Phil!! I saw it and know many of us have a tendency to become “somewhat” unbalanced, and though I can’t say whether addicted or not, or lighthearted or not, I have met many who are totally caught up in the virtual life they have. It all boils down to choice for most. Though I am back in SL after a long hiatus I am not where I once was. My SL life is much diminished – though certainly not extinguished! That works for me as my days are very busy and I feel fulfilled. Yes, not enough hours to do it all so choices are made, but I am out exploring, seeking visual magic and sacred spaces in the world- and all that! I have always loved the words of C. Castaneda ““For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length–and there I travel looking, looking breathlessly.”

July 19, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Awww, thank you so much, that really means a lot to me! And I love the sentiment in that quote, it’s perfectly apt for those of us who become immersed in SL and find so much awe and inspiration there. With all the uncertainty that’s been stirred up since Project Sansar has come to light, I hope that no matter what happens, we have many wonderful years of virtual world exploration to look forward to! ♥

July 19, 2015 at 6:38 pm

and may you continue to find that inspiration!! Lately I find mine in the world of 5 senses and try to translate it into inspiration and vision too. I fooled some people at the Lollygagger Gallery into thinking those photographic landscapes were SL!! ( not on purpose!!). :) But I’m always up for a walk in the virtual imagination of others too.

July 17, 2015 at 8:37 am

PS: Thanks for the link to wizarding fair! What a delightful sim! – and I love what artists are doing these days in the virtual platform.

Kess Crystal said:
    July 19, 2015 at 12:41 am

I adore this post Ever…as you know SL has been a lot about escaping for me recently so it really caught my interest. Great pics as always <3

July 19, 2015 at 3:52 pm

You’re lovely Kess, thank you so much! I hope SL is providing the respite and rejuvenation that you need, and I’m wishing that all is going well for you and yours! ♥

Editorial Team said:
    July 19, 2015 at 2:18 am

I can identify fully with what you’ve said in your first paragraph, Ever. My own experience was a little bit of an addiction when I first tried SL, but as I’m not a gamer, other than SL, I don’t feel that I’ve some need to immerse myself in gaming, it’s a ‘take it or leave it’ attitude.

My perception of it is that it would be males, more than females, who can become obsessed with gaming (although females might not be immune). What SL provides in the context of gaming is a more female-friendly kind of gaming, as it’s not all about speed, guns and drive-by shootings. There’s certainly something gentler than ‘Grand Theft Auto’ or ‘Call of Duty’ when designing clothes, or blogging about clothes made by others. Perhaps there’s something in the very nature of SL that means it’s unlikely to be as addictive as some other games, and you can dip into it as time permits. It just rolls on and on, rather than being some quest to ‘win’.

July 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Perfectly said, Ella! I believe it was last month when I wrote a post about the value of the SL Premium Membership when I said something along the lines of ““Massively Multiplayer Online style games can exist within Second Life. But the true Second Life experience does not exist within a MMO.” SL is just so different and unique from traditional gaming that it really stands apart from anything I would consider to have the potential of being harmfully “addictive”. If anything, it seems to provide people with the socialization, creative outlet, and inspiration that can often be lacking in the real world! ♥