Choose Your Own Eventure

I was having a chat with the lovely Faylinn Erin, who creates beautiful treasures and trinkets for her brand Secret Love, and I mentioned that I was so impressed with how organized she is with all her current and upcoming event participation. She started telling me how she keeps track of everything, and then dazzled me with a screenshot of a Google doc, and it was like a light bulb went off in my head. Spreadsheets! This was so totally up my alley.

Up until the last week or so, I’ve attended very few events in Second Life. Partially because of budgetary constraints (which, let’s be honest, have at least partially flown out the window!) and also because I find them to be somewhat overwhelming. I mean that in the best possible way; it’s amazing to be in a single space where so many talented designers are represented. It’s kind of like visiting a shopping mall where the majority of stores are brands whom you absolutely love and would gladly buy out their entire stock if your wallet would abide. Also, events in Second Life happen with such frequency, keeping up with the often coinciding schedules can be dizzying!

So thanks to the extraordinarily hardworking gals at SeraphimSL.com and EloquenceSL.com, and Faylinn’s wonderful inspiration, I put together a pretty thorough spreadsheet for myself of upcoming events. Here, have a peek!

Event Spreadsheet - Happily, Ever Afterr
That’s 24 events ending just within the next 12 days. Amazing!

I fiddled around a bit with the layout, and decided that the End Date column was the most vital, so I could quickly see when an event ends, or its current round closes. I also decided to include SLURLs, since I’m noteably forgetful when it comes to snagging landmarks, and having them at the ready in the spreadsheet will make crediting event items properly much speedier as well. Organization! And c’mon, spreadsheets at least a little bit geeky, so how can I resist?

My idea is to update it a few times a week as current events close and new ones are announced. When an ongoing event, like The Black Dot Project for example, closes to prepare for the next round, I can just delete the Starts and Ends dates. When I re-sort the spreadsheet by the Ends column, that line will just drop to the bottom of the spreadsheet until new dates are filled in.

So, fashionistias and event enthusiasts: how do you keep track of all the virtual world happenings? If you have a different system, or suggestions for other websites, groups, Flickr pools, or similar that help to aggregate all the info, I’d absolutely love to find out about them. Please share in the comments! ♥

And speaking of events …

Eventive

This look is dedicated to my sweet friend Holly, who lovingly claimed that I’m a fashion enabler, to which I brilliantly replied something akin to “Nuh uh, not EVEN!” and then proceeded to choose a look filled with group gifts, limited time event items, and her favorite color. So I think we can all agree that she’s totally mistaken with her assessment. Silly Holly! ;)

First things first though: I’m wildly, madly, head over buns in love with this gorgeous skin from AlterEgo and it’s available in-world as a completely free group gift! Love the soft dapple of freckles, the perfectly shaped lips, the brows, the skintone, everything. There are also two more gift skins to snag when you join, as well as some awesome L$1 lippies.

I’m also super impressed with the applier work by db Dollz. The lace inlays on the Hot Pants are so beautiful, and the stitching detail on the Basic Top is perfection. Both are exclusive to The Black Dot Project, and the mesh denim shirt can be found at the Ross Fair. Cross-event outfit assemblage! Yeah, I’m a rebel like that.

Before I scoot, I must sneak in a special swoon of love over Alaska Metro‘s gorgeous nail designs. She has lots of unique packs available in her Marketplace store, and they’re only $L25 apiece for 25 designs – effectively L$1 per nail color. Phenomenal deal! And my jewelry set is the second beautiful group gift that’s currently out at Secret Love. These were marked as June gifts, so they may not be available come July. Get your hot buns over there and pick them up!

Body
Body / Maitreya | Mesh Body – Lara v3.4
Skin / AlterEgo | Lydia v2 – Honey (Hipsta Plz) | Group Gift
Hair / Truth | Ursula – Blondes04 | L$50 Sale in-world
Eyes / SU! | Tender Eyes (Mesh) | Group Gift
Lashes / ACD | Eye Lashes 2 | SL Marketplace
Lips / Bonita | Tinted Gloss – Glossy Lips | SL Marketplace
Nails / alaskametro<3 | Nail Polish – Tropics Silver | SL Marketplace

Jewelry / Secret Love | Chained Drops Necklace & Earrings | Group Gift
* Shirt / db Dollz | Open Denim Shirt – Black | Ross Fair Event, through July 6th
* Crop Top / db Dollz | Basic Top – Black | The Black Dot Project Event, through July 4th
* Pants / db Dollz | Hot Pants – Purple | The Black Dot Project Event, through July 4th
Shoes / KC Couture | Vixie Heels – Black | SL Marketplace or in-world

Poses
Label Motion / Shiny Shabby Gift – Pose 2 & 3 / L$1 at Shiny Shabby Event, through July 15th

Location
+Half-Deer+, Eternal Dream

22 thoughts on “Choose Your Own Eventure

annagibby33 said:
    June 28, 2015 at 7:09 pm

That is amazing and I am so glad I don’t know about 1/2 of these events cause the ones that I do know about have broke my bank!!!

June 29, 2015 at 1:44 am

I know the feeling, Anna! And I’m the worst window shopper in the world because I see something lovely and crave-worthy and I feel so sad walking away. These events are gonna drive us into the poor house! :)

Kess Crystal said:
    June 28, 2015 at 11:38 pm

OMG you had me at ‘spreadsheet’. I am such a sucker for a spreadsheet! Don’t even get me started on Gantt charts! This is an amazing idea…and just cos I’m cheeky…If that’s a google doc would you consider sharing? Or even adding collaborators to help with the upkeep? I’d be happy to help. Really is an amazing post <3

June 29, 2015 at 1:47 am

Thank you so much, Kess! Yay, another spreadsheet geek! Let’s start a club, with a secret handshake and everything. And a treehouse! And no boys allowed, because they have cooties and stuff. ;)

I’ve been trying to divine a way to share a spreadsheet that has private columns in it, as I also use that doc to keep track of which events I have sponsors presenting at, if I’ve blogged the items, and so on. If you can think of a way to create a master, collaborative spreadsheet that we can take private copies of where the data will be dynamically updated (if that all makes sense!) that would be phenomenal. I’m a Google Docs newbie so I defer to your brilliance! <3

readmeri said:
        June 29, 2015 at 5:25 am

I’m thinking that google calendar would do this job? The main calendar could be shared (with events on) and everyone could edit their own copy without affecting the main document? It’s something that occurred to me a while ago, because while I love Seraphim, I long for a calendar layout to make things clear to me (I’m a bit dim) x

Kess Crystal said:
    June 29, 2015 at 2:20 am

Hmmm a challenge! I’ll look into it and see if there’s a way.

June 29, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Hi Kess! ♥ I was kinda thinking out loud to Meri’s comment below; you can find my response at the bottom of the page, but I’m thinking maybe a spreadsheet that’s editable to only a few collaborators, but can be shared publicly so others are welcome to use it as a reference. As for the sponsor columns and stuff, I can always move that to a separate spreadsheet.

I also have another spreadsheet where I’m keep tracking of store SLURLs, marketplace links, and owner names (for tagging on Flickr). Would that be useful too?

Kara said:
    June 29, 2015 at 4:13 am

I adore this post. That outfit is just amazing. I just wish to say that Bloggers like you push me to try and become more amazing.

Liked by 2 people

June 29, 2015 at 4:48 am

Kara, that is the most lovely thing that anyone could ever say! Thank you so much, you’ve given me a huge smile and just made my day. You’re wonderful! ♥

Kara said:
        June 29, 2015 at 5:57 am

Aww, thankyou. Every word of it is true ^-^

s1nny said:
    June 29, 2015 at 4:47 am

Great post! Awesome idea! I’m definitely going to look into it. Right now I have folders in folders and notecards in each folder with info on , going back and forth is tedious! However, I do use macro so all my most used landmarks are at the touch of a key! It helps a lot.

June 29, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Awww, thank you so much! And your macro idea is genius! Anything that can save time and clicks is brilliant – leaves us more time to fiddle with Windlights and other photo-related tweaks, haha! I can never make up my mind! :D

Thank you SO much for the reblog too, lovely lady! xoxo

s1nny said:
    June 29, 2015 at 4:49 am

Reblogged this on sinfulpixels and commented:
    Pls go check this idea out ! It’s a great post!

readmeri said:
    June 29, 2015 at 5:22 am

Love your spreadsheet Ever. It’s inspiring me… tonight I will break into your house with a USB stick and steal it <3

June 29, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Haha, Meri! You’re more than welcome to try, but if you manage to gain entry I might not let you go! ♥

Was thinking about your Google Calendar comment above; the one trouble is that once you get a lot of overlapping events, they get super cluttered and difficult to read. For example, those 24 events shown in the screenshot above would all overlap each-other on the calendar and I think there are a finite number of simultaneous, multi-day events that can be track on a calendar before they start getting hidden within the interface.

I really do love the idea of a collaborative spreadsheet, I’m just trying to sort out how to make it functional and protected, so if someone outside the blogging community got the link they wouldn’t be able to maliciously delete the whole thing or something. Maybe by setting specific collaborators who have edit capabilities, while everyone else is welcome to view it as a reference? That would probably do the trick!

You’re making my brain work too much, Meri! Now I need to recuperate. :D

Kess Crystal said:
    June 29, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I had a quick look at how to protect certain cells, columns and sheets within a spreadsheet earlier and will take a closer look tomorrow and ‘test’ how effective that is. I also agree with Meri, a calendar would be awesome. I love the idea of having the slurls included to make blogging credits easier too. I am sure with the technology we have at our fingertips these days all of this must be possible somehow.

ოἶlκყ ოõეhἶ (≧ω≦) said:
    June 30, 2015 at 5:55 am

I am actually a bit messy with it comes to organizing the events that are going on, but what seems to work for me is to check http://seraphimsl.com/ every few days.
    I love how many events there are but sometimes I kind of wish that there would be some sort of a “break” between them if it makes any sense?
    Mainly because the events come one after another, and like you said, it’s so hard to resist not to buy all these things that you end up broke :P

June 30, 2015 at 6:12 am

I understand and agree completely! Would be lovely if we could get a little bit of a respite to unpack all the goodies from the last event (and replenish those wallets!) before diving into the next. I think these designers are all conspiring to make us all perpetually broke! :D

anabellemarquis said:
    June 30, 2015 at 8:28 am

May I have access to you spreadsheet please :P Joking but seriously, I wouldn’t mind.

June 30, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I’m working on it, chica! I think I’m *thisclose* to figuring out a way to make a public spreadsheet that people can also take private copies of if they want to. Stay tuned! ♥

[…] dolls! I was so amazed and delighted with the response to my recent post about my Second Life events spreadsheet that researched my buns off and figured out not only how to share and embed this spreadsheet for […]

[…] Choose Your Own Eventure […]