7 thoughts on “Second Life Premium Membership and Value in the Virtual World

keyliikkin said:
    June 8, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Wonderful post! I completely agree with your take on the value of the premium membership, and I’m not sure the common argument against that you mentioned really holds water. In RL terms, I can go to a mall and walk around, but it is a hell of a lot more fun if I can buy a pair of shoes or a gelato. Having some Lindens, even just a modest amount, really does open up a lot of doors and greatly enriches the SL experience; I’m sure that’s by design.

Also, mo’ groups means mo’ freebies. ;) Those extra 18 groups are 18 extra designer groups I can join with 18 extra monthly gifts, MM boards, lucky chairs, and member discounts. A lot more money saved there. While the math is a bit beyond me, I’d wager the annual subscription will just about break even for the savvy shopper.

June 8, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much for commenting, Keyli! <3

It's amazing how much value, both in virtual goods and in "experience enhancement", one can get from just a small investment of RL funds into Second Life. Some folks will always oppose the idea of spending money on intangible goods, but we do the same thing when we go see a movie or buy a ticket to any kind of attraction. You're paying for the experience, rather than the physical item.

SL is ongoing entertainment for many, so the cost of spending time and funds on the grid – if you choose to spend anything at all – seems to end up being a pleasure rather than a great financial sacrifice. And money just goes *so* much farther in the virtual world, it's wonderful!

Yordie said:
    June 8, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I think the Premium account is a great value on an annual basis. I’ve become accustomed to that L$300 stipend, even though I don’t use it much. The Linden home is convenient also. I hadn’t thought about being able to have that many groups, but you are right about DJs and clubs and all that. It makes a lot of sense. Good work!

June 8, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Thank you so much, Yordie! :)

Now that I’m calming down a bit on my “collect all the free things!” extravaganza, it’s wonderful knowing I’ll have additional group spots open for supporting artists, venues and the like. I could easily fill up 100 group spots if given the opportunity! And to think it was only 25 groups apiece as recently as 4 years ago. No wonder alternative methods had to be devised!

Shae Marquis said:
    June 9, 2015 at 11:19 am

I started paying for premium a few years ago aside from any perks simply because I *could* spare it and I truly appreciated the experience that was given. I felt like it was only fair to support the devs and the world that had given me such joy. I also understand that not all *can* afford to support in such a manner but for me – I just felt better knowing that I was able to contribute a bit more, like when we pay taxes and although sometimes they make us cranky – at their root they’re for the good of us all..

The perks I *do* take full advantage of though, and I appreciate them greatly!

I like the linden allowance because although I can add lindens when I see something I really want, sometimes I do run a bit short for a few days or weeks (much like First Life budgeting).

I love the 512 land allotment, I opted to buy a small parcel at auction rather than a Linden home because I can throw up a few commercial vendors if/when I choose and I’ve set my permanent inworld blog office/shop there.

The new group limits were just the absolute cat’s beee-hind to me as well, I cannot even express how joyous I was to see that announcement! Since I still blog and I’ve stepped away from “sponsored” blogging – I need all the things and what better way for me to stay fresh *and* support creators I love than sending people to get group gifts and possibly take a stroll through their shops, maybe pick up a nice sweater while there, etc!

Liked by 2 people

June 9, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for commenting, Shae!

The Linden allowance is so great! I don’t even think about it – in fact, I think it’s generally sent out today? – but just knowing it will be there in my account is a wonderful thing. And with all the excellent low-cost finds on the SL Marketplace and in-world, that L$300 can go a remarkably long way. In fact, I used that exact amount the other day to join the SU in-world group and was delighted with all the wonderful gifts. Kitty sweatshirts and pretty eyes, FTW! :D

Oh gosh, and the extra groups. SO happy! I’m hoping whatever changes LL is making to improve the backend operations of groups will mean faster loading of the group info panels, and more group allowance in the future. I think this unexpected and very welcome increase is a great sign of things to come!

[…] limited to the first billing period of the quarterly membership plan. As I wrote in my recent post, Second Life Premium Membership and Value in the Virtual World, I genuinely feel that the annual billing option is the preferred way to go, as it really is an […]