The Weekly Peek: Double Birthday Edition!

Welcome to another week in the SL Universe, lovelies! And while perhaps not quite as exciting as the legendary “double rainbow“, I do indeed have a double birthday to celebrate today! Ever the avie has turned the tender age of one month old, and her RL counterpart is turning 30 years old! (Which may or may not be the first time that’s happened, but y’know, time is relative and such! Ahem.)

Birthday Wishes
Closing my eyes and making a wish! Please click for a full-size image and credits.

And in their most gracious honor of my dual celebratory occasions (me = humblest Ever ever!), Linden Lab really pulled out all the stops and bestowed a lovely gift upon their members that’s been the big buzz in the community over the last few days:

🔹 Residents can now have membership in up to 60 Second Life groups! Ahhh, but if that seems too good to be true – especially given how rare this kind of change is – there is indeed a catch: the change is presently only in effect for Premium members. Boo, hiss! Read more at the Official SL Blog. But actually, it was a genius move on the part of LL, as additional group slots was probably going to be the only perk alluring enough to bring me back into the subscriber fold. I’m so torn! How about you, friends and readers: will this change be enough to sway you into paying for Premium; or if you’re already a paying member, something worth renewing for? Would love to hear your thoughts! Also reported by: Ciaran Laval, Daniel Voyager (who offers an interesting look back at the last times the group limit was raised), and Inara Pey.

🔹 Popular streaming content provider Twitch, in all its lack-of-wisdom, has decided to ban Second Life from being broadcast by its members, owing to its designation as an Adult-Oriented Game. Once again, SL is being viewed through a narrow-minded and wholly inaccurate lens, and this change will now prevent content creators from live-streaming their creation workflow (a concept that had gained popularity of late), as well as those who offered a variety of streaming content from the grid that stayed firmly within a General or Moderate rating. Ciaran Laval wrote about the Rules of Conduct Update and later followed up with a response to an article on NWN about the subject. Jo Yardley also shared her thoughts about the ban.

🔹 At last Tuesday’s Server-Scripting group meeting in world, Simon Linden provided a notecard with some useful Debug settings that could be employed to help improve viewer performance, particularly at events with a large number of attendees. Nalates Urriah detailed these settings in her blog post and gave excellent summaries of what the various tweaks entail. She also outlined some really helpful rendering shortcuts that may be especially useful for optimizing performance during events, such as the SL12 Community Celebration that’s coming up in only a few shorts weeks!

1920s Berlin Project

🔹 Speaking of annual celebrations, Jo Yardley’s 1920s Berlin Project celebrated its 6th anniversary this past weekend, with events ongoing through Wednesday, June 3rd. A hearty congratulations to Miss Yardley for the longevity and accomplishment of her project, and here’s to many more!

🔹 And last but not least, fans of the Avie Choice Awards may now vote for their favorite brands, creators, bloggers and more in the SLife category, which covers topics like Favorite Furniture Designer, Favorite Sim to Explore Through, Best Annual Event, and many others. Voting closes on June 15th!

22 thoughts on “The Weekly Peek: Double Birthday Edition!

landacrystal said:
    June 1, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Happy Birthday to both you and your Avi Ever!!! Sending you many Blessings your way. Thank you for a wonderful post!

serenestyle said:
    June 1, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Happy Birthday everywhere Ever :)

June 1, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Thank you very kindly, Miss Serenity!! :)

Wendz Tempest said:
    June 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Happppyy Birthday!! *throws glitter in the air*

Inara Pey said:
    June 1, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Many (belated) Happy Returns!

Cara said:
    June 1, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Happy Birthday to you, Ever! <3
    I love that the group count has gone up to 60! It's been long overdue; however, it really needs to be for everyone, without a doubt!

June 1, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Awww, thank you so much Cara! *squeezes*

I *think* I read somewhere that LL is rolling it out as a pilot program to Premium members and it may at some point be raised for everyone, but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve been away so long that last I knew there was a limit of 25 so I was thrilled with 42, but those slots get snatched up so quickly. More, please! :)

Cara said:
        June 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I am jumping on your wagon, that’s for sure! Virtual picketing, anyone? Welcome back to SL anyhow and yay for another great blogger!

Raznay Decosta said:
    June 1, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Happy Birthday’s Ever!!!

Second Life® truly pulled out all the stops for you ;)
    Which is exactly how it should be, might I add!

Another fantastic post! WOOHOO!!!

June 1, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Awww, thanks bb! Just remember: you owe me at least 30 spanks in-world or else the next year will be terrible or something. I forget how it works, but I’m sure it’s all written in the contract somewhere! ;)

xoxoxo

Hana Hoo? aka The Dune Mouse said:
    June 2, 2015 at 8:45 am

Many birthday blessings!

keyliikkin said:
    June 2, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Happy birthday squared! The 60 group change has me looking very hard at a subscription too.

June 2, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Thank you so much, Miss Keyli! I’m thisclose to subscribing; bumped up against the 42 group cap again yesterday and those 18 extra spots are calling to me. Well played, LL! 10 points for your house! :)

dennmystic said:
    June 2, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Happppyy Birthday!!<33333

[…] pose and spent the next hour camming around in delighted bliss, my newly upgraded computer (a birthday gift with impeccable timing) offering me the best views of this lovely place that I’ve ever […]

[…] I mentioned this change in my recent Weekly Peek post, I cheekily remarked that this was a brilliant move by LL as I was sorely in need of group […]