This quick guide was inspired by a conversation that came up in a skin designer’s group chat the other night. A gal asked if anyone could share a landmark to the brand’s store, which I thought was a bit of a curious request. So I looked in my inventory and didn’t find a landmark in the folder of the group gift that I’d picked up there. I tried the Second Life search tool, but the store didn’t show up in a Places search. So I used a bit of sneaky maneuvering to finally pinpoint the location, and relied upon the World Map to give me a clickable SLURL to share with the group member.
While this may not necessary be an issue you come up against often, it’s fairly common for landmarks and SLURLs to become defunct, owing to stores changing location or closing in-world. Or perhaps the brand uses a variation on their name in their Second Life Places search that may effectively “hide” them from coming up under other terms. Also, if a brand’s store happens to be located on an Adult sim and you don’t have your viewer settings turned on to allow access to Adult content (or you’ve unticked the “A” box in the Search window), you may inadvertently miss their listing. This tip should work as long as you have an item from the designer in your inventory, and the creator still has a presence in SL. Here’s the workaround:
1. Locate the item in your Inventory panel, and right-click on it. Choose Properties from the menu.
2. In the window that pops up, the designer’s name should be shown in the Creator field. Click on the Profile button.
3. In the designer’s profile, check in their Picks tab for a current store location. They may have closed their in-world store; if this is the case, look for a Second Life Marketplace link. Otherwise if they have a location listed, click on the Teleport button.
4. If you don’t wish to teleport, but instead would like to share the location with someone else or save it for yourself to visit later, click on the Show On Map button. When the World Map opens, look for the Copy SLURL button and click on it. You can then paste this link into the chat box to turn it into a clickable landmark.
To the best of my knowledge, Second Life doesn’t provide us with a way of creating a landmark unless we’re physically at a location in-world. Meaning, if you want to make a landmark in your inventory of a specific place, you need to visit it in-world and then use the Landmark This Place option from the SL viewer’s World menu. However, if you just want to temporarily store a location for future use:
5. Click on the SLURL that you pasted into the chat box. In the Place Profile box that pops up, click on the little arrow in the lower right-hand corner and choose Create Pick. This will store the location in the Picks tab of your own profile, which you can use at any time to teleport. (Once you do visit the place, go ahead and make a proper inventory landmark as explained above for future use.)
I hope this is helpful! And a sincere thanks to creators who make sure to keep their in-world profiles up to date with landmarks to their current store locations. This is tremendously useful when the Search feature is being problematic, or if the landmark included with a prior purchase in out of date. I can imagine that the responsibilities that go along with being a brand designer or manager must be overwhelming at times, and updating your profile would be easy to overlook, so taking the time to do so is really appreciated!
And now for a quick L$0 Look of the Day! (Please click for a full size image.)
Skin: Amacci – Yasmin (L$0 group gift)
Lip Color: Tilly – Pink Lipstick 50% (L$0 on SL Marketplace)
Eyes: Chus Poppet Lenses – Meadows (L$0 on SL Marketpace)
Hair: Little Bones – Pearl (L$0, FaMESHed group gift through May 27th)
Necklace: Pure Poison – Gabrielle Necklace (L$0 group gift)
Top: Moon Amore – Dulce Melodia Dress (L$0 group gift)
Jeans: Aniri’s Boutique – Sam Jeans (L$0 on SL Marketplace)
Sneakers: Energie – Criss Boots (L$0, Energy Club group gift)